Instructions for November 8, 2022, election:
Nominations open on July 18th and will close on August 12th unless one of the incumbent(s) do not file and then there will be a 5 day extension for anyone other than the incumbent which is August 17th, 2022.
What you will need to do…
- Decide if you are going to do the optional Statement of Qualifications. (200 word statement).
(SOQ prices will be available closer to the opening of Nominations)
- You should think about how you want your name to appear on the ballot and what you would want to use for a ballot designation.
(Ballot Designation: 3 words or less to describe your primary occupation or vocation.)
- You would complete a Statement of Economic Interests form (700). You can get the form at the FPPC’s website. http://www.fppc.ca.gov/index.php?id=500
(Check the “Candidate Box and put the Election Year” on the Cover sheet and fill out any schedules that apply.)
- Campaign Statements
a. Do NOT plan on raising or spending any money - 470 Form
b. Plan on spending up to $1,999 - 470 & 501 Form
c. Plan on spending OVER $2,000 - 410 & 501 Form
(All forms can be found here: http://www.fppc.ca.gov/forms.html#title2)
- Declaration of Candidacy
(You will complete this final document when you come into our office to complete your nomination paperwork)
THERE IS NO FILING FEE TO RUN FOR A SCHOOL BOARD OR A SPECIAL DISTRICT
What you will fill out when you go to Registrar of Voter’s office (435 Fiscal Dr, Santa Rosa, CA 95403):
- Fill out “Candidates Folder”: a. Basic Information: Name/Address/Write: How you want your Name on Ballot/Ballot Designation.
- Ballot Designation Worksheet: a. Basic Information: Name/Address/Ballot Designation & Justification for Ballot Designation.
- Campaign Statements: (you will fill out according to how much money you plan on spending to campaign)a. Do NOT plan on raising or spending any money - 470 Formb. Plan on spending up to $1,999 - 460 & 501 Formc. Plan on spending $2,000 or more - 410 & 501 Form
- Statement of Economics (700 Form): a. Basic Information: Name/Address/Office your running for...b. If you have any businesses or investments within the district you are running for you may have to complete additional schedules.
- Declaration of Candidacy:a. Using the information given on previous forms Registrar creates an overview/summary page, where the candidate will initial & sign that information shown is correct.b. When that is all complete you will take your Oath of Office.
Every candidate who runs will be offered a handbook that will have all the information they will need about running for office and campaigning.